Translate

Monday, May 9, 2016

How to extract Zookeeper TAR.GZ file in Windows using 7-Zip

How to extract a Zookeeper TAR.GZ file in Windows

I was about to install Zookeeper in my local machine when I found out that the installer is in GZ format.  Being a Windows user, I have to find my way on extracting the files without using Linux/Unix commands.  I have 7-zip handy.  You may also choose WinRar, GZip or other free extractor tool available.

Here are the steps I did to extract the Zookeeper installation files:

  1. Download the latest stable installer.  As of this writing, http://www-eu.apache.org/dist/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.3.6/zookeeper-3.3.6.tar.gz is the most stable one.

  2. Right-click on the file downloaded on your file system.  Select 7-Zip.  Then Open Archive.  The 7-Zip window will be opened as below.





  3. Click the Extract button.  Then provide a Copy to folder.  This will extract the TAR file in the folder provided.

  4. Double-click on the TAR file.  This will display the contents of the TAR file as shown below.

  5. Select again the zookeeper-3.3.6 directory.  This time, click the Copy button in the 7-zip buttons panel.  You will be asked to enter a valid Copy to folder.  Click OK when done.

  6. Viola!  All files will be extracted to the folder.